Economic support payments
The Australian Government has recently announced two economic stimulus packages.
On 12 March, the Australian Government announced a $17.6 billion stimulus package, including a one-off $750 payment to those who receive certain DVA benefits.
To be eligible for the first payment, you must be residing in Australia and be receiving one of the following payments, or hold one of the following concession cards, at any time from 12 March 2020 to 13 April 2020 inclusive:
- Service Pension, Partner Service Pension, Income Support Supplement or Veteran Payment
- Disability Pension (separate to the $6.20 fortnightly payment)
- Special Rate Disability pension
- Permanent Impairment compensation
- War Widow(er)’s Pension or Wholly Dependent Partner payment
- Gold Cards, Commonwealth Seniors Health Cards and Pensioner Concession Cards
- DVA Education Schemes, where recipients are aged 16 and over
- Age or Wife Pension paid by DVA.
These payments will be made automatically to eligible people’s nominated bank accounts from 31 March 2020 to people who will have been on one of the eligible payments any time between 12 March 2020 and 13 April 2020.
There is no need to lodge a claim, but you should ensure that DVA has your correct bank details and address. To make sure your details are correct, log in to MyService or call DVA on 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372).
On 22 March, the Government released the second stage of its economic plan to cushion the economic impact of the coronavirus and help build a bridge to recovery.
In addition to the first stimulus payment, the Government will provide a further $750 payment to Australian resident social security recipients and those receiving the above DVA benefits on 10 July 2020. However, it will not be payable to those who receive the Coronavirus supplement, which is an additional $550 per fortnight on top of social security payments such as JobSeeker Payment.
This second payment will be made automatically from mid July 2020.
Please routinely check www.dva.gov.au for up to date information on the stimulus payments.