Help to support veterans’ children
DVA’s Education Schemes support eligible students with their education and career training needs.
As the 2021 school year starts, it is timely to remind veteran families of the DVA support available for children of current and former Australian Defence Force personnel who have either died or been severely injured as a result of their service.
The Veterans’ Children Education Scheme and the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act Education and Training Scheme (also known as the Education Schemes) support eligible students with their education and career training needs.
The support available may include one or more of the following:
• education allowance
• additional tuition to help students with their studies
• special assistance provided in exceptional circumstances
• education and career guidance
• rent assistance to help with rent or board
• fares allowances for tertiary students living away from home within Australia
• Start-up and Relocation scholarships for tertiary students studying an approved course.
One of the key benefits of the Education Schemes is the flexibility to support eligible students when and if a need arises, anytime throughout the year. In 2020, around 3500 students received some form of support through the Education Schemes.
If you, a family member, or someone you know, wants more Education Schemes information, including about eligibility and how to apply, you can visit the DVA website or contact DVA on 1800 555 254.