Air Force Centenary – 31 March 2021
The Royal Australian Air Force commemorates the 100th year of its service to the nation, since its formation on 31 March 1921, with major events across Australia.
National events in Canberra include:
- Centenary Welcome Ceremony at the Australian War Memorial – 29 March 2021
- Commemorative Service at the Air Force Memorial – 30 March 2021
- Flag-raising at Commonwealth Place – 31 March 2021
- Flag-raising at Blamey Square – 31 March 2021
- Queen’s Colour Parade and Flypast at Government House – 31 March 2021
- Queen’s Colour Parade and Flypast Live Site at Rond Terrace – 31 March 2021
- Centenary Dinner – 31 March 2021.
At RAAF bases around Australia, local activities will support the commemoration throughout the year. Because of the constantly changing COVID-19 requirements in different states and territories, the Air Force 2021 team is encouraging veterans to check the Air Force 2021 Centenary website (www.airforce.gov.au/100) for the latest information about the activities.
The website includes links to base activity announcements, the Royal Australian Mint’s 2021 coin collection, the Australia Post stamp collection and first day covers, and the Air Force Shop for memorabilia.
The ABC will broadcast the Queen’s Colour Parade live via an outside broadcast on 31 March from 10am.
A highlight of the commemorations is a special and personal recognition of former members who share the same birth year as the Air Force and therefore turn 100 years of age during 2021. Framed mementos with certificates signed by Chief of Air Force and Warrant Officer of the Air Force are being presented to Centenarians in recognition of their service and their birth year.
You’ll find more articles about the RAAF Centenary on airforce.gov.au/100 and the DVA website: